有关教育的英语表达 idioms from education

外教一对一哪家好 2022-03-19 10:52122未知admin

In today's lesson I want to teach you eight idioms that come from education. 在今天的课上,我想教大家8个来自教育方面的成语。 Actually, I have 10 of them, a couple of them are just expressions, though, so I can add the


In today's lesson I want to teach you eight idioms that come from education.

在今天的课上,我想教大家8个来自教育方面的成语。

Actually, I have 10 of them, a couple of them are just expressions, though, so I can add them to the other ones.

实际上,我准备了10个,其中有几个只是表达式而已,所以我把它们合并到一起来讲。

Eight idioms.

8个成语。

All of these come from education, but now we use them to talk about other things that might not be related to education at all.

这些成语都是跟教育有关的,但我们也能用在其它场景中,跟教育毫无关系的其它领域里。

Okay?

清楚了么?

So, as you know, idioms are groups of words, they're expressions whose individual words, when they're put together might not mean the exact same thing as the words themselves.

如你所知,成语是一组词语,每个词语表达单独的含义,但把它们放在一起的时候,表达的意思可能和单词本身并不完全相同。

They can have completely unrelated meanings, and we're going to see some examples of these.

它们可能会有完全不相关的含义,接下来将会看到一些例子。

So we're going. . .

我们一起来看看......

We have a lot of ground to cover, so we're going to go slowly but surely through it all.

我们“有很多方面要涵盖”,所以我们得慢慢地,但肯定会完成的。

So, what does it mean " to cover a lot of ground" or " have a lot of ground to cover" ?

那么,“要涵盖很多方面”或“有很多方面要涵盖”是什么意思呢?

It means to have a lot of material or a lot of information to get through, and understand, and make sure everybody gets.

意思是要学习和理解大量的材料或信息,并确保每个人都掌握它了。

Right?

懂了么?

When we cover a lot of ground, technically it comes from the ground, and you cover ground means you move, you travel.

当我们涵盖了很多方面,从技术层面上来说,它原意是地面,而你“覆盖”的地面意思是你走过的,经过的。

But we use " ground" as information, and " cover" means go over.

但我们用“地面”表示信息,“覆盖”表示经过。

So: " cover a lot of ground" , get through a lot of information.

那么:“覆盖许多地面”,表示获取了大量的信息。

Also, we " can't teach an old dog new tricks" .

还有,我们“年老难学艺”。

So what does it mean, you can't teach an old dogs a new trick?

这又是什么意思呢,你不能把一个新把戏教给老狗?

So imagine your grandfather, okay?

请想想你的祖父,好吗?

You are moving to another country because you're studying English, you want to immigrate to another country.

你到外国是因为你要学英语,你想移民到外国。

You get to that country and you want to continue speaking with your grandfather in your home country.

你到了外国,想继续和在祖国的祖父聊天。

So you're trying to teach him Skype or you're trying to teach him, like, a mobile app, messenger, whatever.

所以你尝试教他用skype,或者你想教他类似手机app,短信之类的东西。

But your grandfather is trying, trying, trying, he just doesn't get it.

但你的祖父一直在努力学习,但就是学不明白。

And then finally he says: " You know what?

最后他会说:“你知道吗?

I don't care.

我不在乎。

We'll call each other on the telephone once in a while."

我们偶尔打个电话就行了。”

So finally you give up, you say: " You know what?

最后你放弃了,你说:“你知道吗?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

年老难学艺啊。

We'll just call on the phone."

我们就打打电话吧。”

It means as people get older, it's very difficult to change their habits.

这意味着随着人们年龄的增长,很难改变他们的习惯。

Okay?

懂了吗?

We're not calling old people old dogs, it's just an expression, but basically old people don't change habits very easily.

我们不能管老人叫老狗,这只是一种表达,但基本上是指老人没法轻易地改变他们的习惯。

You can't teach them, so that's where the education comes in.

你不能教会他们,这就是教育的意义所在。

Now, something or someone is " old school" or he or she belongs to an " old school of thought" or to a particular school of thought.

现在,某物或某人是“老派”,或者他或她属于“旧思想流派”或者是其它某种思想流派。

So, if somebody is old school, he or she likes something that is a little bit old-fashioned, likes to do something a little bit old-fashioned, something that's probably outdated, not modern.

所以,如果某人是个守旧的人,他或她会喜欢一些有点过时的东西,喜欢做一些有点过时的事情,喜欢一些可能过时的东西,而并不够现代。

Okay?

懂了吗?

Now, it doesn't have to be about a person.

但这不一定是指某个人。

It could be a thing.

也可能指一件事。

So, for example, if you. . .

例如,如果你......

For example, if you go to Cuba. . .

例如,如果你去古巴......

Okay.

试想一下。

Cuba has a lot of old cars from the 1950s. Okay?

古巴有很多50年代的旧车。对吧?

Like Chevys, and Fords, and whatnot.

比如雪佛兰和福特之类的。

We can say: " Oh, wow, that's a really old-school car."

我们就可以说:“哦,哇,那是辆老掉牙的车了。”

It has the old engines, nothing computerized.

有老旧的引擎,没有一点现代化科技。

It's all carburetor and all kinds of pipes all over the place.

都是由汽化器和各种管道组成的。

It's very old school.

都老掉牙啦。

It's very cool, but it's not modern. Okay?

它很酷,但并不现代。对吧?

So it's something that's old school.

这是个老派的东西。

When we talk about a school of thought, it means it's a particular way of viewing something or thinking about something.

当我们谈论一种思想流派时,意味着它是一种被特殊看待的事物或思想。

We especially use it to talk about, like, philosophy.

我们更多把它用在,诸如哲学方面。

Okay?

明白了么?

But even in science there are certain scientists who basically subscribe to this particular school of thought.

但即使是在科学领域,也有一些科学家基本上也会赞同某一特定的思想流派。

So, we use the word " subscribe" , means they believe in doing it this way.

我们用“订阅”这个单词,来表达他们相信这样做是正确的。

Other scientists subscribe to this school of thought.

其他科学家也赞同这一思想流派。

So, the. . .

那么......

There was a scientist who said: " This is the way we should do it."

有一位科学家曾说过:“这就是我们应该做的。”

There was another scientist who said: " This is the way we should do it."

另一位科学家也曾说过:“这是我们应该做的。”

All the people who follow this way created a school or a viewpoint, they created their own viewpoint.

所有追随这种方式的人都创造了某种流派或某种观点,他们创造了自己的观点。

So different schools of thought.

所以就有了不同的思想流派。

So, if we're talking about how to discipline children, okay?

所以,如果我们说该如何管教孩子的话题上。

Some people like to sit their children down and talk, talk, talk for hours to try to teach them something. Other. . .

有些人喜欢让他们的孩子坐下来聊天,用几个小时的时间来试着教育他们某个道理。其它的......

In other cultures they just slap them on the bum, the kid understands, never does it again.

在其它文化中,家长只会打他们的屁股,孩子明白了,再也不敢这样做了。

The slapping thing is a little bit old school, we don't really do that anymore, but it comes from an old school of thought where punishment creates discipline.

扇耳光的事有点老套了,我们不能再那么做了,但是这种做法来自于一种古老的思想,那时是用惩罚建立的规矩。

That's. . .

那就是......

I'm not getting involved in the actual question, that's up to you.

我不是要分析实际的问题,当然这取决于你。

I'm just telling you the expressions.

我只是在教大家这种表达式。

" Learn the ropes" .

“学习窍门”。

Okay?

明白了?

So, if somebody needs to learn the ropes, they need to learn how to do something.

如果有人想学习窍门的话,表示他们需要学习该如何做好某事。

So when you join a company for the first time, at the beginning you don't know where the copy machine is, you don't know where the fax machine is, you don't know how to do things around the office, so at the beginning you have to learn the ropes, learn how everything works, and then you become adjusted.

所以当你第一次加入一家公司的时候,一开始你并不知道打印机或传真机在哪放着,你不知道在办公室里该如何做事,所以在开始的时候,你必须学会诀窍,学会如何工作,一点点适应。

I think it actually comes from sailing, I'm not sure.

我认为这个成语是来自于航海领域,我不确定。

All kinds of different ropes you need to learn how to use them to sail your boat, but basically it means adjust to a new situation, get to know it, move on.

各种不同的绳索,你需要学习如何使用它们驾驶船只,但基本上它意味着适应一个新的环境,去了解它,然后继续前进。

Now, if you're going to " teach someone a lesson" , it means you're going to punish them.

现在,如果你要“教训别人”,它表示你要惩罚他们。

Okay?

懂了吗?

" I'm going to teach you a lesson you won't forget."

“我要教训你一下,让你永生难忘。”

Right?

明白么?

So somebody did something bad to me, and I want to get revenge, I want to teach them a lesson.

如果有人对我做了坏事,我想要报仇,我想给他们点教训。

I want to punish them so they understand that what they did to me was bad and I'm going to do something worse for them.

我想惩罚他们一下,让他们明白他们对我的所作所为是不对的,我要对他们做一些更坏的事情。

Now, the other side: " to learn a lesson" .

另外一个:“吸取教训”。

Of course, you go to school, your teacher teaches you and you learn the lessons, but when we say: " Oh yeah, I really learned a lesson from that experience" , it means you went through a bad experience, usually, and you learned from it so you will not repeat it again.

当然,你去上学的话,老师会教你学习课程,但是当我们说:“哦,是啊,我真的从那次经历中吸取到了教训”,意思就是你有一次糟糕的经历,并从中学到了东西,所以你再不会重蹈覆辙了。

So it's not necessarily punishment, but it was a bad experience that you will avoid.

这不一定是个惩罚,但这是一次不好的经历,你得避免它。

To teach someone, somebody did something bad to you and you will get revenge, you will punish them for it.

某人对你做了坏事,为了教训他,你会对他报仇,你就要因此而惩罚他。

" To school someone" , now, realistically you can interpret this as to teach someone something.

“给某人上课”,现实地说,你可以把这解释为在某方面教育某个人。

Right?

懂了吗?

To school someone in etiquette, means to teach them etiquette or to teach them behaviour, etc.

对某人进行礼仪教育,意思是教他们礼仪或行为规范等。

These days it's used as a slang term, it means to embarrass somebody.

现在它被用作俚语,意思是使人难堪。

So if I'm playing basketball with a friend of mine and, you know, I'm trying to do all these things and then suddenly he just steals the ball and he goes and does a 360 slam dunk, he schooled me.

如果我和我的一个朋友在打篮球,我试着去做所有的努力,突然他抢断了球,然后做了一个360度的转身扣篮,让我很难堪。

He showed me how real basketball players play and I am nothing.

他向我展示了真正的篮球运动员是该如何打球的,而我什么都不是。

So he embarrassed me, he schooled me in basketball or any situation.

所以他让我难堪,他在篮球运动或其它领域教训了我。

Okay?

懂了吗?

" 'A' for effort" , good job, nice try, but sorry, you're not hired.

“努力得到‘A’”,干得好,干得漂亮,但很抱歉,你没被录用。

You failed.

你失败了。

You didn't do the work properly.

你没有把工作做好。

So if somebody says: " You get an 'A' for effort" , it means: " I really appreciate that you tried so hard, but it's not very good.

所以如果有人说:“你的努力得了‘A’”,意思是:“我真的很感激你的努力,但不是很好。

You didn't really succeed. Sorry. Bye." Right?

你并不是真的成功了。抱歉的。再见”。懂了吗?

" A" for effort, " B" or " C" or " D" or " F" for actual accomplishment.

“A”表示努力了,“B、C、D、F”表示实际完成的。

Now, " to make the grade" .

现在来“晋级”一下。

If somebody makes the grade, it means they reached a certain quality or a certain level.

如果某人晋级了,那就意味着他们达到了一定的质量或水平。

Right?

对吧?

So, if you think about the army and you. . .

如果你想象一下军队,而你......

I'm sure all of you have seen enough Hollywood movies that you know what Navy Seals are.

我相信你们都看过足够多的好莱坞电影,知道什么是海豹突击队。

So, Navy Seals are, like, Special Forces, they're very tough, very strong, very hardworking soldiers.

海豹突击队就像,一只特种部队,他们是非常硬朗、非常强壮、非常勤劳的士兵。

Not everybody can be a Navy Seal.

不是每个人都能成为海豹突击队队员的。

Many soldiers try, but only a few make the grade.

许多士兵都试过,但只有少数人才能被录取。

They reach that level of ability that they can join the Navy Seals.

他们达到了那种能力级别,并能够加入海豹突击队。

Right?

懂了吗?

So, " make the grade" also comes from school.

“晋级”也是来源于学校领域。

To get into university, you need a 3.4 GPA, for example.

例如,想要考上大学,你的分数需要达到3.4 GPA。

If you don't make that grade, 3.4, you don't get into university.

如果你不能拿到3.4分,你就进不了大学。

But now we use this expression for all kinds of things about reaching a certain minimal level quality, ability, etc.

但现在我们用这个表达式来表示,在某件事上达到的某种水平底线的素质、能力等。

There's also a quiz you can take to practice your understanding of these idioms.

你还可以参加一个小测验,练习下你对这些习语的理解。

Like my video and subscribe to my channel.

如果你喜欢我的视频,请订阅我的频道。

And come back soon, I'll give you some more good tips for English. See you then.

下次见,我会在英语方面带给大家更多好的建议,再见。

英语培训哪个机构好?怎么选择英语培训机构-新世界英语网

联系QQ: 邮箱地址: